SDK Turrialba for DM8168 Z3 Board
This page is for an older version of the SDK - please refer to the following latest versions :
SDK Irazu for DM8168 Z3 Board
RidgeRun Professional SDK Irazu for DM8168 Z3 Board - Release Notes
- 1 General Information
- 2 Documentation
- 3 What's new?
- 4 Add-on support
- 5 Differences between the EVAL SDK and Professional SDK
- 6 Supported Operating Systems
- 7 SDK Details
- 8 Known Limitations and Defects
- 9 Support Information
- 10 SDK Download Instructions
- 11 Related links
- Product Name: SDK for DM8168 Z3 board based on Turrialba Stable Release.
- Date: May 2013
- Turrialba SDK Release Information (with Turrialba SDK User Guide)
This document and the software described in it are furnished under license with RidgeRun, and as such, may be used or copied only in accordance with the terms of the license. The contents of this document are furnished for informational purposes only and are subject to change without notice. RidgeRun, assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or inaccuracies that may exist in this document. No part of this document may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form, without the prior written consent of RidgeRun.
ARM is a registered trademark of ARM Limited. Linux is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds in the United States and other countries and is used by RidgeRun under license. Texas Instruments and TI are registered trademarks of Texas Instruments Incorporated. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
- DM8168 Z3 related documentation:
- CodeSourcery Toolchain 2009q1-203
- Updated kernel version to 2.6.37
- Updated EZSDK version to 5.05.02.00
- Updated GStreamer OpenMax plugins
- AAC encoding and decoding as well as MP3 decoding on the DSP
- Includes latest gstreamer 0.10 distributions available: gstreamer-0.10.36, gst-plugins-bad-0.10.23, gst-plugins-base-0.10.36, gst-plugins-good-0.10.31, gst-plugins-ugly-0.10.19
- Graphics SDK 4.04.00.02 (openGL) integrated with Qt
- CUPS supported
- Support for HDMI video output
- Support H.264@1080p video encode/decode including RTSP streaming (RTSP Streaming module:GStreamer multi-stream / multi-channel RTSP server element will be a addon and to be purchased as mentioned below under 'Add-on support' section)
- SD boot support
- NFS, UBIFS, JFFS2 supported
- U-boot-2010.06 + env function support to read your environment from a simple *.txt file in a SD card.
- Ubuntu 14.04
Below mentioned modules has to be purchased as a add-on as per the customer requirements.
- MJPEG encoding on M3
- Dual capture
- Dual capture and dual display at 1080p@60
- GStreamer multi-stream / mulit-channel RTSP server element
- Writeback driver
- TVP5147, GS2971 and GS2972 chips
- We also have the drivers for ADV7611, TVP7002 with VGA input, TVP5150, TVP5151 chips and these drivers has to be purchased as a Add-on's.
- Integration with systems based on FPGAs
Differences between the EVAL SDK and Professional SDK
The EVAL SDK Turrialba is based on the Professional SDK Turrialba but it has been added some limitations. The main differences between both SDK versions are listed below:
|Feature||EVAL SDK||Professional SDK|
|Dual Capture/Display||No||Yes (Add-on)|
|Graphics SDK support||No||Yes|
|Can be used to develop commercial products||No||Yes|
|Can be used for personal or education proposes||Yes||Yes|
|RidgeRun's professional support||No||Yes|
Supported Operating Systems
Linux Distribution Ubuntu 9.04, 9.10, 10.04, 10.10, 12.04, 14.04 in 32 bits and 64 bits.
This is an Evaluation Linux SDK build for Texas Instruments DM8168 System on Chip and based on the Professional SDK Turrialba.
This SDK is designed to run on the DM8168 Z3 RPS.
This SDK includes:
- ARM toolchain: gcc 4.3.3.
- U-Boot 2010.06
- Linux kernel 2.6.37.
- Integration with TI's EZ Software Development Kit for Davinci DM816x/DM814x processors- EZSDK 5.05.02.00.
- Please make sure to download and install the EZSDK before building the RidgeRun SDK.
- Install the EZSDK by running ezsdk_dm816x-evm_5_05_02_00_setuplinux. Be sure to use the default installation values.
Note: If you are going to install the EZSDK on an machine using a ubuntu version different than Ubuntu 10.04 LTS 32-bit you will need to add the --forcehost option to install it, i.e.,
- ezsdk_dm816x-evm_5_05_02_00_setuplinux can be downloaded from TI's Product Download Page.
Known Limitations and Defects
RidgeRun offers the evaluation SDK for hobbyists willing to invest time getting they project to work. RidgeRun also offers the evaluation SDK for professional companies in product development who want to try out the SDK before purchase. RidgeRun will extend the professional SDK as required by our customers. Many of those changes will be ported to the evaluation SDK.
Expect the list below to change regularly as new limitations are reported and defect fixes are checked in.
- In order to use the RidgeRun's installer system and more specific the NAND support it is necessary to use RidgeRun's u-boot instead of the default u-boot that comes with the board. Read the following article to know How to flash the RidgeRun's u-boot in a new board.
- There is a known issue running the make installbootloader command when your Z3 module is initially running uboot from a SD card, in this case you will see an error saying that the SDK installer has failed to detect u-boot restarting. However, uboot is flashed properly. Please ignore this error, it will be fixed in the next release
Evaluation SDK doesn't include support services. Make sure to read the links listed below (Related Links) in order to solve some of the main issues.
RidgeRun Professional SDK provides handful of debug and profile tools, professional Linux development support and a wider range of drivers. Contact RidgeRun at email@example.com or Contact Us Form here for information and pricing on Professional SDK for the platforms you need.
SDK Download Instructions
If you want to get the DM8168 Z3 EVAL SDK Turrialba you need to go to our download center link here page and select the DM8168 Z3 SDK Turrialba. You will be asked for your email address and some information. Once you have submitted the required information you will receive an email with the following information:
- A link to download the SDK Turrialba Installer file for GNU/Linux based operative systems.
- A username and password to download the installer.
- A link to the installation instructions.
In order to compile the SDK you need to install the toolchain. Further instructions available at RidgeRun Turrialba SDK User Guide.